Mobile museum visits Western

<p>Students at Western kicked off Black History Month with an opportunity to board a mobile museum filled with images and displays highlighting African Americans.</p>

Students at Western kicked off Black History Month with an opportunity to board a mobile museum filled with images and displays highlighting African Americans.

Students at Western kicked off Black History Month with an opportunity to board a mobile museum full of images and displays highlighting the talents of legendary African Americans that excelled during a time of deep discrimination.

Celebrating its 10th anniversary traveling the around the country, The American Legacy Mobile Truck Tour, will visit 15 cities this year and selected Detroit as the first and only stop in Michigan. Black Women Rock hosted the Detroit tour.

"After my organizations were asked to present the tour in Detroit, I insisted that my change agents at Western be a part," said Jessica Care Moore, the founder of Black Women Rock and the Director of Western’s Vibe Dream Team. 

“Being able to see pictures and the actual items was very powerful," said Western senior Trevor Smith, a member of the Vibe Dream.

Teacher Mershira Oliver said: "It was inspiring to see how innovation partnered with historical artifacts and passages came together to serve as a museum on wheels. It is a fantastic platform to inform and share civil rights for generations to come."

For additional information about the Vibe Dream Team at Western, contact Jessica Care Moore in room 1079.