Black Future Month showcases history makers in the present

Black History Month is a brings recognition to African Americans who have paved the way for the future generations. But it’s time to welcome a new tradition: Black Future Month.

Black Future Month is also celebrated every year in February, serving as an extension of Black History Month. Instead of celebrating people only of the past, Black Future Month celebrates the Black American reality in the present.

“The idea behind Black Futures Month is to reimagine the idea of Black History Month and change the emphasis from history of people of color to our futures,” says Damon Davis, a self-described Afrofuturist.

BFM offers the opportunity to focus on the aspiration and dreams to which African Americans aspire now. Instead of only focusing on one particular leader, we focus on all voices and experiences that have the ability to shape our present in future.

Since Black Future Month has started, many young voices began to articulate their feelings into poetry, art, and music. Renee Bracey Sherman, for example, wrote an article to voice her feelings and dreams towards Black futures. In her article, “I Dream Of Healthy Black future,” Sherman claims, “We have to fantasize about the potential for a future of Black health and Black freedom.”

Director of Black Lives Matter Communications Shanelle Matthews adds, “We reconcile our need and desire to dream while combating the onslaught of attacks on our families, on our bodies and on our nation by not allowing ourselves to be limited by your story.”

BFM shows the world that we are full of ambition and that we strive to live beyond single or past expectations.