Alumna returns to DSA to offer advice on college, careers

Keisha Reynolds, a Detroit School of Arts alumna, class of 2008, was a vocal major while in high school, but is now an entrepreneur and author of a new journal, “Shift Into Position: a 21-Day Power Journal for 2018.”

Reynolds returned home to Detroit and more specifically, Detroit School of Arts, where she conducted an empowerment master class for DSA Achievers.

In her master course introduction. Reynolds said that whenever she conducts seminars, she consistently brags about being from Detroit, and how fortune she was to have had the experiences of true community support and the city’s love for artistic expression. Though the native Detroiter lives in another state, she admits here foundation started here.

“I’m originally from Detroit and I currently live in Norfolk (Virginia); I’ve been there for about five years now," she said. "I know that my start here at DSA and the Detroit area and going to school in Big Rapids, Michigan, is the foundation of who I am today.”

Reynolds said it’s crucial for her to come back to DSA and give something back to the students:

“ I wanted to give something back to my school and speak to students today about shifting into position," she said. "Also getting ready to receive every blessing that is here for you, as well as tapping into your gifts and talents so you can utilize them to the best of your abilities so you can see success.”

She says that high school students are starting a new chapter after high school:

“Right now you’re in your preparation phase in high school and you’re getting ready to step into a new level of life. You’re going to transition very soon.”

Reynolds then talks about her 21-Day Power Journal:

“When it came to writing this journal, I’m very spiritual. So in 2017, I told God what ever idea or vision that you give to me in 2017 I’m going to birth it, I’m going to bring it to life. So that was true for several events I did throughout Virginia. As well was writing this piece.”

She says that in the summer time of 2017 she didn’t feel as motivated.

“I didn’t feel as motivated or as on fire as I usually am when it comes to achieving my goals. So I was like I wish I had an empowerment journal, something that can uplift. If I was feeling that way then I know other people may have felt that way. If you reach a pit or you may be down, and you need something quick to uplift you, so with this 21-day power journal we go through things in the book that may need to shift in your life. Therefore you can achieve success”

Reynolds gives her readers 21 days to set forth their goals and ambitions:

“I chose 21-Days particularly because it takes 21 days to create a habit. As you’re going through this journal you’re creating a habit of success, you’re creating a vision and making it plan so you can accomplish what it is you need to do. Anything you do consistently bring success.”

When asked, “Who was her support system?” She talked about her closest family members that cheered her on:

“For me, I always had my cheerleading corner sort of speak with my mom, grandma and my aunties. I’m a first generation graduate. The first person in my family to have a bachelors and masters degree, so for me there wasn’t necessarily a blueprint.”

Reynolds attended Ferris State University for undergrad and majored in journalism. She states that since there wasn’t a blueprint for her in obtaining a degree, she had to remind herself as to why she was there in the first place and not getting defeated in class when she received a C and she was an A student. She says it’s crucial to have a good standing with your professor.

“Most students don’t utilize their professors," said. "They let their professor come in, teach and leave with fully understanding what they were talking about. Then you reach out to your peers and they may not know either. Your professor has office hours you need to go to them every time until you understand. Or email them or stay after class.”

When she graduated with her bachelor's degree she worked for a marketing firm in Troy, Michigan, for one year. She always knew that she her master's degree. Therefore she only applied to Norfolk State University. Once accepted she worked hard and gained work experience. She took on an internship at a public relations firm. She gained a job from them and signed her contract prior to walking across the stage. 

From there she opened up her own business in October of 2017, K&R Communications, which helps builds brands, small business and churches mainly.

Today Reynolds is the CCO of Black Brand, Hampton Roads Regional Black Chamber of Commerce with the mission to promote group economics through professional development and community empowerment. Her current client base spans from the East Coast from North Carolina to Virginia and New York.