Wolverine Pathways Program leads DPSCD students to full-tuition scholarships

In the past few months, select scholars from Detroit Public Schools have gathered at Detroit DEPSA every Saturday to attend educational classes.

University of Michigan launched an educational program in January 2016 called “Wolverine Pathways” with the intention of preparing the students of Michigan schools for further education at their school.

The pathways program is free for students living in Ypsilanti, Southfield and recently, the city of Detroit public school districts (DPS, EAA and Charter).

The program brought in new seventh and tenth graders to begin the Fall 2017 session, which lasts about two months.

The academic and program coordinator, Dana Davidson, hopes that the program helps create a more diverse campus, representing all ethnic backgrounds in Michigan as well as across the nation.

Wolverine Pathways offers fall, winter and summer sessions that include hands-on and project based learning to enrich the students in English Language Arts, math, science and computer coding.

Wolverine scholars present their collaborative to parents at the end of each session on “Demonstration Day.”

Every year, the program has an application window (December-January) where students with a 3.0 GPA or higher submit their transcript, recommendations and an essay to apply.

Students who complete the program up until they graduate their senior year, apply to University of Michigan, and get accepted receive a 4-year full tuition scholarship to the university ($200,000).

“I think Detroit students having access to unique opportunities and information will really put them ahead of the game,” said a Wolverine Scholar parent.

“We have to move away from a place where there are always the same voices and many leaders on campus here know that,” Dana Davidson states.