Double Standards: Will society ever be able to see genders with equally?

Double Standards are defined in Webster’s Dictionary as “the application of different sets of principles for similar situations.”

As far back as time will go, double standards have been evident in our society.

Rumors spread, people talk, and women are labeled with a gigantic scarlet letter that is both impossible to ignore and a defamation of character.

The insane part about these accusations women face is that they are often from other women. Internalized misogyny. A poll was taken and 53 percent of the girls interviewed felt that when confronted with a rumor about themselves, they feel it usually comes from other women.

When asked about how she viewed rumors about boys with loose morals and whether or not she viewed those rumors about girls the same, Cass Tech senior Isis Mitchell had a lot to say.

“Personally when I hear rumors about someone with loose morals I tend to be more judgmental if that person is a female,” said Mitchell. “It is common for males to get a free pass when it comes to sexuality, public misconduct, and how they treat others.”

And let’s not forget about the incredibly huge issue surrounding men and the idea of fragile masculinity.

The idea of boys crying being a symbol of weakness and a lack of a man has been around for decades.

“My dad used to tell me don’t cry, you’re acting like a little girl,” CT senior Julian Rainwater said. ”As I got older I realized it was really socially unacceptable for me as a male to basically show emotions, now when I’m upset I just try to do everything in my power to hold it in so I guess you could say it had an effect on the way I react in certain situations.”

No matter your gender, double standards have an effect on everyone. The only question remaining is, will our society ever be able to see all genders with equal standards?