Renaissance High School’s girls cross country team second in city

<p>RHS freshman Kynnedee Cowles and RHS senior Shania Shepard run for the lead position.</p>

RHS freshman Kynnedee Cowles and RHS senior Shania Shepard run for the lead position.

Renaissance High School’s girls cross country team placed second behind the King Crusaders in the city championship at Bell Isle against eight other teams, one week before Regionals.

Two RHS athletes placed first and second in the 3.1 mile race, finishing in the top 20, earning All-City titles.

Freshman Kynnedee Cowles ran cross country for the first time this year and placed first in all PSL meets. Cowles is a distance runner for the Motor City track club outside of school and said her strategy this season has been “to remain relaxed.”

After the first loop at city championship, Cowles and RHS senior Shania Shepard ran through the start line side-by-side. By the second loop, Cowles passed her teammate, finishing at 21.36 minutes, followed by Shepard with 21.56 minutes.

“I [hoped for] other results... but I can only take this as a learning experience and put forth more effort during the track season,” said Shepard.

The two athletes placed first and second, but the rest of the girl runners placed in the top 20, ensuring Renaissance an All-City title despite the team’s third fastest not running in the city championship.

Coach Darnell Hall said he wants to restore the legacy of distance running at the school.

This is the second time in the past two years that the girls’ cross country team has placed second against the Crusaders, after a first place win in 2015.

Junior Na’ima Beasley is excited for the season’s end.

“I feel prepared for regionals and the next track season. I'm proud of myself for making it this far,” Beasley said.

RHS competed against 17 other teams at regionals on Oct. 28 in Willow Metro Park in New Boston.