Christian students at Renaissance have judgement-free space to meet

<p>S.A.L.T members gather around table to discuss topics regarding race, politics and religion. </p>

S.A.L.T members gather around table to discuss topics regarding race, politics and religion.

Every Tuesday after school in the Renaissance High School media center, six students discuss Bible scriptures and politics in a Christian faith group.

During the Seeking a Life of Truth club meetings, or S.A.L.T., students have the opportunity to discuss their opinions about social and current events, and get feedback from other self-identified Christian students.

“This club creates a safe haven for teenagers who are into expressing their views on God and want to express themselves in that manner,” said co-vice president Halia Davis, who has been a member since the 9th grade, when she joined the group to further her beliefs.

But fewer students participate than when Davis started in the club.

This year S.A.L.T. only has six members, all seniors. Previous years had at least 10 members, with students from all grade levels.

“I would love to see more kids join S.A.L.T, especially underclassmen," said senior vice president Kennedy Paul.

Paul hopes to see S.A.L.T expand into a city or even state club, saying that young people in the church feel outcast.

Senior Neo Pauling joined S.A.L.T. this year for a different reason.

“I joined S.A.L.T so I can further my belief in the word and have a positive place to be," Pauling said.

RHS chemistry teacher Dr. Cynthia Bridges created S.A.L.T. for Christian students to have a outlet to express their beliefs in a judgement free zone.