Students need to be aware

When your parents tell you to watch your surroundings, you should. You never know who is watching or planning to hurt you. Whether you are out with friends, shopping or going to the store, pay attention to people around you and possible issues that can happen.

There are predators out, just waiting and scouting on vulnerable prey. If you’re not ready and armed with necessary tools, you may fall victim. Awareness is vital and key when you are traveling away from home. Everyone is not your friend. With that being said, it is important to keep in mind and pay attention to your surroundings.

With so many things happening, from human trafficking, to being murdered amongst “so-called” friends at a party, it is important to be aware and remain aware of your surroundings at all times. Here’s several ways to prevent from being a victim of potential danger:

• Tell someone (preferably a responsible adult) where you are going and when you will be expected back.
  • Don’t walk and talk. Keep expensive devices in a purse, backpack, etc. until you arrive at your destination.
  • Stay in a group if you will be out late. Walk in a group to cars, then drive home immediately instead of spending time texting or making calls.
  • Always listened to your gut or instinct. If something feels wrong, don’t ignore that feeling. Get out of the situation immediately.