#StemEducationMatters

On Sept. 26, Ivanka Trump, Quicken Loans Chairman Dan Gilbert, and tech experts held a panel in Detroit on the importance of STEM education and coding in the U.S. According to an article published by Fox 2 News Detroit, Trump feels there is a lack of STEM presence in the U.S. education system.

However, is that true?

Cass Tech Vice Principal Velma Snow agreed with Trump.

Snow said: “We are lacking in two major areas in STEM education. ... We also lack adequate and reliable funding to support the resource needs of STEM classrooms.” 

According to the article by Fox 2 News Detroit, the U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos steered $200 million in funding toward STEM education. Also, a $300 million commitment from private sector will go towards the expansion of computer science classes including more than $15,000 classes for Detroit students.

Research shows that the U.S. is ranked 25th in mathematics and 17th in science among other industrialized nations, this is why STEM education matters. According to a U.S. News article, engineering was the most popular field among international students in 2015-2016. While careers in the STEM field thrive, international students are jumping at the opportunity to pursue those high paying jobs.

Besides the issue of funding STEM education, the encouragement and promotion of STEM education is severely lacking. 

As stated by former President Barack Obama and Snow, the pipeline of inadequate teachers skilled in stem programs and subjects is another reason the U.S. lack as a nation. It’s important that the government has its new found funding to properly prepare teachers to adequately teach students science, technology, engineering and math.

It’s crucial that not only the U.S. do it’s part in promoting STEM education, but the citizens of the U.S. as a whole, and more specifically Detroit. 

Detroit offers a copious amount of STEM programs ranging from Detroit Area Pre College Engineering Program (DAPCEP), to the Video Game club at Cass Tech. 

Parents and students of Detroit should reach out and join these organizations to help advance the future of the U.S. Teachers and parents need to work together to encourage and expose kids to stem programs early in order to encourage a whole new generation of young bright minds.