Count us in! Count us up!

Communication and Media Arts High School had one of its most successful Count Days with an overall 99.9 percent of students in attendance on Oct. 4. 

Count Day is when all public schools in Michigan tally the number of students attending their schools. Count information is critical to districts as each student translates into state funding.

The freshman, sophomore and senior classes at CMA each had 99.9 percent of students present on Count Day, while 100 percent of juniors were in attendance. 

Principal Donya Odom said: “I was elated, but not surprised, because once I put the challenge on the students to compete with one another, I knew the seniors were definitely going to rise to the top. They're so competitive, and the 11th-graders are always trying to get a one-up on the seniors."

Senior class president Noah Cravens said, “Competition is always good when it affects the educational experience.” 

To get students excited and ready to participate, Odom held a drawing. Prizes were given out, including homecoming tickets and T-shirts. The big prize was a VIP homecoming experience that included red-carpet treatment for one student.

Odom also offered incentives to the winning class, which were the juniors. Juniors were allowed to kick off their own spirit week, have their hallway fully furnished for Olympiad in their class color, receive homecoming tickets, and get a pass out of detention.

Students at CMA celebrated the successful Count Day with a concert presented by 105.9 Kiss-FM with performances by AllStar JR and others.