OPINION: Is Puerto Rico “really” a part of the United States?

Can the President find motivation to help those in need?

In September, Puerto Rico was hit by Hurricane Irma, a category 5 storm, and hit by Hurricane Maria, a category 4 storm. Puerto Rico was left without electricity and many were left with destroyed homes. According to USA Today, “Access to drinking water has been restored to 45% of Puerto Rico - but more than half of the U.S. territory of 3.4 million is still going without.”

Helping restore Puerto Rico should be Presidents Trump 1st priority, right? Wrong! According to Atlantic.com, “President Donald Trump’s dawdling response to the hurricane - he did not hold a situation room meeting on the disaster until six days after landfill.” “Donald Trump is doing everything he wants to do, and a little bit of what he is being persuaded to do, he is not even close to doing what he can do.” - Mr. Lenk Cass Tech Teacher. President Trump has been offering/showing his “help” through twitter, he tweeted ““massive” amounts of food and water has been delivered” “While social media has its place, it is really not the place to announce policy.” - Mr. Diskin Cass Tech Teacher. How much is a “massive” amount and Is it enough to feed 3.4 million people? President Donald Trump has gone far enough from not helping Puerto Rico enough to tweeting about how the mayor of San Juan has poor leadership. It sounds hypocritical due to him not leading this country, and doing so little to help one of the states he represents.

According to Time.net, “Donald Trump blames Puerto Rico for not being able to get their workers to help after Hurricane Maria.” President Trump was spending his weekend at his private golf club, while firing angry tweets complaining about the suffering and how it is unfair, aiming it toward San Juan's Mayor. “The President should of pulled the army to work faster, help is not getting to Puerto Rico.” - Pastor Guillermina Garcia. Instead of playing golf and spending time in New Jersey, President Trump should be working with the army and different organizations that are willing to help the 3.4 million people in Puerto Rico. Most help should be getting there within 4-5 days of the storm. Not months or weeks later. Not realizing all the diseases, and break-through of bugs, and many injuries can happen without the proper help of trained professionals.

How would you feel if you could not contact your family, not through social media, not through phone? Millions of people are suffering, because they are worried about their loved ones, not knowing if they are alive or if they are dead. Pastor Guillermina Garcia resident of Detroit, and pastor of Iglesia Cristiana Carismática - Oásis de Bendición, still has family members in Puerto Rico who have no roof over their heads, and have lost everything due to flooding. Not being able to contact anyone for two weeks or more straight. “The Hurricane has impacted me in a very hard and painful way because my family and friends live in Puerto Rico. Watching my people lose hope, crying for help. Nothing is happening hard enough. There is nothing I can do about it, by distance and no communication, not being able to send money” Pastor Guillermina Garcia. President Trump does not realize that not only is Puerto Rico suffering but many people in every state who have family members in Puerto Rico are suffering as well. President Trump is not giving us a reliable source to send money, food, and resources to Puerto Rico.

President Trump needs to focus on the humanity and how helping will impact the society.