8 to 3 or 9 to 4? How long should the school day be.

Some kids and some teachers feel that the school day should be adjusted. There are many debates on whether being at school early is best for students.

There has been a lot of feedback from the students and staff members of Benjamin Carson High school on whether school should start later.

“It would be better,” said biology teacher Kwesi Matthews. “Because there are scientific studies that show your brain is more active later in the day.”

Junior Jordan Bowers said: “It starts too early and some people like to sleep in. I function better later in the day.”

Students, if given a later start time, will be given the chance to better themselves for learning by sleeping the recommended 8.5 to 9.5 hours a night. This not only improves academic achievements but also physical health and well being because students wouldn't be tired and instead would be aware.

According to The Atlantic.com, “at least 75 percent of public schools start earlier than 8:30 a.m.” This means that a large percentage of America’s kids are not getting a healthy amount of sleep.

People thoroughly debate whether school days should be longer. For example, on a poll on Debate.com, 67 percent of people say no, rather than yes.

“I don’t think it’s necessary because it gives students time to lose attention," said Benjamin Carson Counselor LaReesa Weathers. "Students need to learn to come to school on time.” 

In the earlier 8 o’clock to 3 o’clock school day, students have more time to do after-school activities and time at home for homework and family.

However, even though there are benefits, there are consequences as well. For example, school starts earlier, but students are tired more often.