RHS students tour HBCU's for one week

During the visit students asked questions to college representatives and interacted with peers whom they never met.

<p>Students had the chance to site-see while touring colleges in D.C.</p>

Students had the chance to site-see while touring colleges in D.C.

The Midnight Golf Program, Empowerment Church, and the First Rate organization departed for a week-long tour of historical black colleges.

The college tour is designed to give high school students a chance to see what college is like from a college perspective. For students it includes walking around campus partnered with a college student.

The tour is also designed to encourage students to envision all of the educational possibilities.

“Never let someone decide your future,” said Chardonne’ B, a chaperone.

“It was nice to see the different campuses and what it would be like to live there,” said RHS junior Eniah Hill.

On one day students visited three colleges, being introduced to a range of careers.

“I plan on majoring in law and attending Florida A&M,” said RHS sophomore Dameon Todd.

Beyond the academic aspects of HBCU’s, students had the opportunity to see sororities and fraternities, as well as prominent statues and graves. Students even saw the “Q’s” step.

Some plan on pledging in college to learn what the brother- and sisterhood means in that context.