Poetry club inspires writers

Inside Out’s “City Wide Poets” has been implemented in CMA for two years. This is a premiere group that thrives on the creative ideas and writing of members. 

Brittany Rogers, the sponsor of City Wide poets, said she is excited about this years’ prospects. 

"I chose to start the program because of how important poetry was in my life," Rogers said. "Inside Out offers so many opportunities.”

“Joining the poetry group helps me develop myself as a writer and it helps me pursue my career as an author and a poet,” said sophomore Alonzo Macon

The CMA City Wide Poets have showcased their talents exceptionally this year. They have competed in various competitions such as the Detroit Slam, The MC Olympics, and Michigan’s Louder Than a Bomb. Inside Out has provided many opportunities for inner city youth including after school tutorial, various field trips and offering students a chance to publish their poems in a book (one of which has been released by CMA students).

“Not only is the club an opportunity for teens to hone their craft, but also help them get notoriety for their work,” said senior Sarah Wright.

The goal is simple inspire students to think broadly, create bravely and share their voices with the wider world.