CT alum Sierra Searcy shares experiences in journalism, offers advice

<p></p>

After being a part of the CT Visionary, I have a grown a passion for journalism. I interned for Olympia Development of Michigan in the marketing and communications department. This was my first year being a writer and editor. I’ve enjoyed meeting phenomenal people who have given me words of wisdom and encouragement. I’ve had the opportunity to meet ESPN Undefeated sports writer Jerry Bembry, and CT alumnus Aaron Amos, who is now a producer for Channel 4.

My newspaper adviser Erika Jones always shares stories about her former students who are journalism majors in college. Michigan State Journalism major Sierra Searcy is the alum that stood out to me the most because I plan to attend MSU for journalism this fall.

I had the opportunity to talk to Searcy about college, the five broadcast journalism internships she had while at MSU, being an African-American female journalist, her goals now that she recently graduated and her advice for my future.

In 2013, Cass Tech alumna Searcy was a recipient of the Detroit Free Press & Ford Motor Company Journalism Scholarship.

“This scholarship paid a big percentage of my education,” said Searcy. “Without this scholarship, I probably would not have attended Michigan State University. Being the recipient of the Ford Motor Company scholarship, so many doors were opened for me. Throughout college I interned for five different companies, including Fox 2 News and WXYZ News in Detroit. Carolyn Clifford [WXYZ anchor] really mentored me this past year. I have a clear view of what I want to do now."

In addition to working in newsrooms, Searcy interned with the public relations and communications department at the YMCA in New York. She later went to Santa Monica, Calif., where she was a writing intern for a show called “Living Full Out” writing scripts, setting up interviews and writing proposals for the show's producers.

“After interning with Fox 2, that’s when I really saw that I wanted to go into broadcast journalism. I also learned that I was a double minority and as an African-American female, you're always proving to people why you should be here.” Searcy said.

On her own, Searcy practiced her speech by reading stories out loud, to hone the voice, tone, pitch and diction of a successful broadcast journalist.

After talking with Sierra, I gained so much information about what to expect when going into college as a journalism major. She was president of the National Association of Black Journalists at MSU and a Mary Gardner scholar, graduating the top of her class from the School of Journalism.

“It's not about just taking classes, you have to be active outside of school.” Searcy said. “You can't half way do things or be mediocre, but you have to work hard and be your own motivation.”

Being able to sit down and talk with Sierra Searcy was very motivating. I was given so much insight on how to be great and how not to let me being a minority affect me.

Knowing that Searcy graduated from Cass Tech, went to Michigan State University, interned at various networks and graduated, pushes me to be even greater.