"We Matter 2" supports Douglass' middle school students

The "We Matter 2" mentoring program at Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men was started during the 2015-2016 school year by Dean of Students Saleem Shaheed. It targets the middle school population.

When Shaheed started the program, he named it We Matter 2 to give middle school population a sense of belonging.

According to Shaheed, there are many programs at Frederick Douglass, but most of them were targeted toward the high school population.

"The We Matter 2 mentoring program at Frederick Douglas Academy for Young men changed my life,” said seventh-grader Travis Crook. “Because of this program, I went from earning C's and D's to earning A's and B's. It is because of We Matter 2 I have a new desire in becoming a lawyer.”

The goals of this academic after-school enrichment and mentoring program are to stimulate the cognitive abilities of Douglas middle school students and to provide them with the tools they need to make better decisions.

“This program has made my life better because I was headed in the wrong direction,” said sixth-grader Ryan Butler. “This program helped me to manage my anger issues at home and at school. I have learned better ways to talk through my problems and listen as my peers and I are in group discussions. Now, when I feel the need to unleash my anger, I am able to do it in more positive way.”

The program meets weekly from 3:30-4:45 p.m. The program enhances self-esteem, develops positive behavior, and teaches leadership skills.

If anyone would like to know more about the program, please contact Shaheed at 313-596-3555.