Detroiter Farmer inspires CMA students

People in life sometimes struggle to overcome challenges and feel as if life is against them and they will never make it. 

The story of Detroit native Nicole Farmer shows teens at CMA that anything is possible if you put your mind to it. 

At just age 13, Nicole Farmer was pregnant and she and her grandmother did not see eye to eye. As a result, she found herself living in a group home. Farmer lived in several different group homes and soon found herself living in a car. Farmer was forced to give up custody of her baby. 

L ife seemed to be against her and there were times when she wanted to give up. Everyone hits a low point in their life and believes that they won’t succeed. However, she was able to turn her life around when she was approached by an owner of a mechanic shop and soon became the first African-American woman and youngest person to own a Tuffy Muffler shop. Unfortunately, the business failed after four years and she was forced to close. 

"The story of Nicole Farmer reminds me of the struggle that all races have had to face in order to succeed in their life," senior Nikolaus Craft said. "And how that anything is possible in life if you put your mind to it and do not give up when things get hard.” 

She didn’t give up. She started a new business called “Lifeline,” which has helped millions of entrepreneurs and teenagers start their own businesses. Her company has become a million-dollar company and is still around to this day. 

"A lot of people have dreams in life of wanting to be successful and they don’t always get it on the first try," senior LaShawn Smith-Wright said. "Sometimes it takes more than once to get to where they want to be in life no matter the obstacle."