Little man, big game

Senior point guard Leonard Silas leads the basketball team to the finals

<p>Cass Tech point guard and captain Leonard Silas might be small in size but he plays a massive game.</p>

Cass Tech point guard and captain Leonard Silas might be small in size but he plays a massive game.

Cass Tech senior basketball captain and point guard Leonard Silas might be small in stature but he brings a big game to the court. 

Standing at approximately 5-foot-10 and weighing 135 pounds, Silas is not your typical basketball player, but his game is anything but average. He is averaging over 10 points per game this season, and Silas has helped to lead Cass Tech to being one of the top two teams this season.

Cass Tech varsity basketball coach Steve Hall said, “this is one of the best records I’ve ever had entering into the playoffs" -- the team has beaten seven of the teams they have lost to in previous seasons.

Silas credits his development into a leader as one of his biggest contributions to the team.

“Being a leader is a trait that benefits me on and off the court everyday. The game against Henry Ford I scored 19 points and during halftime I reminded the team that we had this game,” said Silas.

Silas began playing basketball at the age of 7 after being inspired by LeBron James. He started his basketball career with a local AAU team called the Nets under the coaching of Cameron Houston, who Silas still considers the coach that made the biggest impact on his basketball career.

“Coach Cam taught me me to be tough and overcome obstacles,” said Silas.

Silas also played for other AAU teams including the Michigan Playmakers, the Family, and My Brother’s Keeper before beginning his journey at Cass Tech.

Leonard began playing with Cass Tech as a freshman on the varsity team under then-coach David Dixon. The team is now coached by Hall, who has changed the way that the team operates while enforcing full court press, discipline and hard work. Silas says that the switch between coaches has afforded the team more college opportunities.

Hall constantly reminds his players to: “Embrace this moment. Embrace this process. One team. One brotherhood. We grind together, we shine together, No sacrifice, no glory. No pain, no progress. Every play, every day, the CT way.”

Describing himself as “dependable and a leader,” Silas is a top prospect for recruits from Cass Tech.

He recalls the senior night game against Southeastern when senior center Michael Green missed a layup, “I pulled him to the side and encouraged him. I told him: man, I know you could’ve made that, get your head in the game.”

Moments later Green turned around and dunked on the opposing player.