In-school psychologists needed to prevent teen suicide

A few years ago, due to death threats and extreme bullying, one of my good friends considered taking her own life multiple times. Thanks to the help of my school’s on-site psychologist, she found ways to resolve her problems. The psychologist also made sure disciplinary action came to the bullies.

I believe that placing a licensed counselor or psychologist in all middle and high schools could help stop youth suicide in our country. Even though schools around the nation have placed a psychologist in school, there can often be a stigma regarding them. Hence, there should also be counselor, since they are less likely to be seen as negative by students.

With a counselor or psychologist in every school, no longer will our youth feel like they have no one to talk to about their problems. They can come up with solutions, instead of feeling hopeless enough to take their own lives. Under the guidance of a trained professional, teens and preteens can thrive.

According to GoodTherapy.org, an online therapy encyclopedia written by experts, “Psychologists in schools can implement early intervention programs to help students overcome their problems.”

They also help educate parents about mental health concerns and evaluate students. One of the biggest reasons people under 18 commit suicide is because they feel they have no one to turn to. With the help of a psychologist, that negative outlook might be changed to a positive one.