Has Facebook lost its edge?

<p>Christian Kinsey</p>

Christian Kinsey

If you mention the name "Facebook" to the common teenager, you'll likely get an adverse response. When I think of Facebook, I see a place that my parents have inhabited, and they post pictures of me all the time.

It's a place of reruns, where the funny memes I saw weeks ago are just now being seen.

Most people my age have moved on to other popular social media sites such as Instagram, Snapchat and, my personal favorite, Twitter. Among parents, Facebook is the best thing ever.

But has Facebook lost its edge with the younger generation? Let's pick it apart.

My initial reaction is an unequivocal yes. I have moved on from Facebook in favor of its more popular counterpart, Instagram. Still, Facebook has some positives that make me consider it's benefits.

I find myself checking it more frequently lately because it has become a Craigslist-like marketplace in which you can buy, sell and trade items with people in your area. It's a safer platform than Craigslist because in some instances you end up connecting with people you know. I traded a Rose Gold iPhone 6s for a Playstation 4 that I wanted for two years. Of course, I'm also able to communicate with some of my older relatives and keep up with them. I'm a famous star on my mom's Facebook page. I have had many a relative call me, and reference the "cute picture" they saw on their Facebook wall.

Beyond that, Facebook has limited appeal. Many adults have infiltrated Facebook, and as a result many teenagers steer clear. Many of my friends no longer access the site and, peer pressure being what it is, ridicule anyone who still does. The few times I do post, just to keep my page looking fresh, I always have to double check whatever I say to make sure I stay out of trouble.

So while Facebook hasn't totally lost its edge, it has lost some of its allure.