Pink Panthers: UPrep honors breast cancer survivors

<p>Students participated in UPrep's first U Stronger than Cancer walk on Oct. 28. Students donated money to participate and walk around the campus of Wayne State University.</p>

Students participated in UPrep's first U Stronger than Cancer walk on Oct. 28. Students donated money to participate and walk around the campus of Wayne State University.

University Preparatory Academy High School ended Breast Cancer Awareness Month with activities celebrating survivors. 

Throughout the month of October the students of UPrep donated to support breast cancer awareness. They also wrote essays about how cancer affected them and their families. Many students wrote about their teacher, Suk Johal-Hunt, who was diagnosed with cancer in 2008. Johal-Hunt fought cancer and won and now she shows her support to all of those still struggling with the disease.

Students participated in UPrep's first U Stronger than Cancer walk on Oct. 28. Students donated money to participate and walk around the campus of Wayne State University. The proceeds from the walk went to a UPrep family that is fighting cancer.

Also on Oct. 28, breast cancer survivor Jacqueline Howard gave her testimony at the Learning from Leaders meeting with the senior class. Howard was interviewed by her friend, UPrep Principal Camille Hibbler, about her fight with cancer.

Howard talked about how cancer affected her life. After being stripped from all the things that defined her, such as work, family, and her hair, due to breast cancer, Howard was only left with her faith and joy.

“I began to find out the difference between happiness and joy. Happiness refers to possessions and joy refers to love from within,” Howard said.

"We have to think of breast cancer as more than a color. Think of it like a life and death situation."