UPrep seniors march to mailbox

Seniors mailed their college applications on Dec. 9, and the school held a special rally in the gym to celebrate

<p>March to Mailbox Uprep seniors Shelbi Smith and Anayah Gorman&nbsp;march&nbsp;to mail their college applications.&nbsp;</p>

March to Mailbox Uprep seniors Shelbi Smith and Anayah Gorman march to mail their college applications. 

Underclassmen recently supported University Preparatory Academy High School seniors as they marched to the mailbox to mail their college applications.

The school held a special rally in the gym for its seniors. The entire school attended to show overwhelming support to the senior class of 2017. Senior Shelbi Smith hosted the rally.

The keynote speaker of the rally was Raphael Johnson, a motivational speaker and former candidate for Detroit City Council. Johnson spoke to the students candidly about his experiences and the importance of graduating from college.

University Prep graduate Paris France also came to share her college experience with students. She shared with them the struggles she had in college and how she overcame those challenges.

Senior students were recognized with awards for completing 100 community service hours and their early acceptance into college.

Students applied to colleges big and small from the east coast to the west coast. Some senior students said how they felt reassured as they placed their applications onto the mail truck.

"It was very encouraging to the seniors and it probably boosted their confidence," sophomore Imani Bell said.