RHS Symphonic needs $70,000 for Carnegie trip

<p>Carnegie Hall has selected Renaissance Symphonic to perform in its prestigious halls in the spring of 2017.</p>

Carnegie Hall has selected Renaissance Symphonic to perform in its prestigious halls in the spring of 2017.

Carnegie Hall has selected Renaissance Symphonic to perform in its prestigious halls in the spring of 2017. The band must raise over $70,000 to attend. This is not the first time a Detroit Marching Band has performed at Carnegie Hall. In 2013, Detroit School of Arts traveled to New York to perform. Under the direction of Ronald Malabed, the 38 attending DSA band members performed for over 500.

Malabed now teaches in Renaissance High School’s performing and fines arts program. RHS’ band now participates in Windsor’s parade, for each visit of which the City of Windsor donates $500 to the band.

Although the band has successfully fundraised, it needs more help.

A recent method of fundraising were the ticket prices for entry to the Christmas concert. Regular tickets cost $10 and children 6 and below were free.

Malabed said program costs will cover transportation, tours, Broadway shows, accommodation and related performance fees.

“We will be visiting the Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 memorial … and visit the Juilliard,” New York’s premiere performing arts school, said Malabed.

If the total $70,000 is not paid by Jan. 20, students will miss this opportunity.

“Only the best bands and orchestras across the United States are selected to play,” Malabed said.

Long-time students of the band program are eager to see their commitments recognized.

Senior Ryan Estmond has been in RHS’s marching band since the 9th grade and wants the Carnegie experience for her future in music.

“The music I play can impact people around me,” said Estmond, who in 2015 received a scholarship for a three-day music tour of the UK.

She said that performing in Carnegie would increase her chances of earning other music scholarships.

Senior Jalea Jones has played the flute in the band for three years and is also eager about the Carnegie trip.

Playing higher notes and playing at a faster tempo are challenging because you must blow into the hole the correct way and move your fingers faster.

“Practicing the chromatic and major scales helps me warm up at the beginning of class and performances. The flute is a challenging instrument, but I keep trying.”

Sophomore Russel McIntosh says New York will be “a learning experience.”

“It’s a place where we never been before," he said, nothingThe sophomore explains how it was surprising how they won the trip and won against thousands of schools in the U.S.

Many students in RHS’s top band learned how to play instruments over the course of several years and hope to see their musical growth and success acknowledged.

Sophomore Lamon Ray plays percussion and expects to continue playing the drums and marimbas in college. In the beginner’s band section, Ray learned how to play correct rhythms and how to make unique beat progressions.

“I learned the basics; how to hold the drums sticks and marimba sticks, and improved my skills with the bass drum.”

RHS hosts an annual Christmas program featuring four bands and three orchestra groups playing traditional Christmas songs.

This event brings out the Christmas spirit, and parents especially enjoy seeing their children play favorite Christmas sing-a-longs.

With applications coming from all 50 states, chances of being selected are slim. A recording of last year’s Christmas concert performance was included in the Carnegie Hall application.

Participating in your school’s band opens many opportunities for your success.

Freshman Brandon Hill is currently in C band and was quickly appointed to be in Marching Band.

He has experience playing the clarinet and double bass.

As a freshman, new to the band, you experience new things when you enter high school such as new band equipment, performing in different countries, and even performing all over the U.S.

Some instruments are harder to play then others, yet students are still egger to come to class and practice.

“Playing the trombone isn’t really a challenge, but with some of the music, it is hard to move the slide back and forth quickly,” Hill said. “[Band members] can benefit from this by getting out of the house on the weekend, play in front of new people, and leave a lasting impression.”

Some students have received full rides to any college they desire to attend and some have played in their college’s marching band.

Estmond was offered a three-day scholarship to tour Europe.

“I improved dramatically. I learned some things that I didn’t know about music,” Estmond said.

There she experienced life in a whole new perspective meaning she met new people, played with professional musicians, and learned life lessons.

For some people, receiving a full ride to college will encourage them to continue to play their instrument, yet some people will continue to play it just because it’s something they love.

Jones received a marching band scholarship from Central State University in Ohio that covers most of her tuition.

A mandatory band meeting regarding multiple fund raising opportunities was held on Oct. 27, whereby parent committees determined how to raise the $70,000.

One committee is responsible for selling “school-safe” items. The “church group” is responsible for writing letters to pastors, asking for assistance. Another committee manages a GoFund Me account.

Many parents also suggested that students write to celebrities and press releases.

Even with these ideas, the symphonic band and its parent group are interested in other ways to raise the $70,000.

To help raise money for the RHS Symphonic band perform at Carnegie in 2017, email ceara.mcintosh@gmail.com.