Lady Crusaders swim their way to the top

<p>Girls’ swim team prepare before the city championship swim meet.</p>

Girls’ swim team prepare before the city championship swim meet.

On Oct. 26, King’s seven-member girls swim team out-scored seven other DPSCD high schools to win the city championship. This is the first time in years that a Detroit public school has won first place in every event.

Under the leadership of coach Gary Peterson and assistant coach Anneatra Kaplan, it has been many years since King has won a city championship.

“It feels awesome to be a city champs because we haven’t won in over 10 years,” said junior Niah Smith.

One of the dominating factors for the team’s victory is the experience level of the girls and the number of hours spent practicing.

“The difference between this year’s team and last year’s team is the age. They are a year older and more mature,” said Kaplan. “We added additional girls that came in with experience and quality swimming. They were added to what we already had.”

Competing year after year with no luck, made the girls work harder. It will be a moment in King’s history that will be remembered.

“This is the first time King has won a city championship in over 12 or 13 years,” said Kaplan. “This is a very monumental moment in King’s history.”

Competing in these swim meets is no easy feat for the Lady Crusaders. Preparing for these meets takes hard work, determination and dedication.

“It takes a lot of time and dedication to be a swimmer,” said freshman Kayla Kendricks. “You have to go to morning and afternoon practices along with getting your schoolwork and homework done.”

Even with their hours of hard work, the swimmers still get nervous going to their matches.

“At the beginning of the meet, when I first get there, it is nerve wrecking yet confusing because it’s a lot going on and a lot of swimmers warming up in the pool,” said junior Aniah Smith.