A parade of champions

On Dec. 5, the Cass Tech and King varsity football teams were honored for their state championship titles with parade down Woodard Avenue in Detroit. This is the first time that two high schools from Detroit Public Schools Community District brought home a state championship in their respective divisions. Cass plays in Div. 1 and King is in Div. 2.

“It was the first time that two teams from the same district won state championships from the Detroit Public School League,” said math teacher Dwayne Harvey.

There were floats, marching bands, dancers, and school groups from the schools and community in the parade. Alumni from both schools were there to cheer on the Technicians' and Crusaders’ football teams.

“I think it was really about time for us to be honored. We haven’t really done anything like this in my years being here and I think that it was absolutely a good thing,” said sophomore Ceira Thorpe.

The parade began at Grand Circus Park and ended in front of the Spirit of Detroit. Interim Superintendent Alycia Meriweather and radio personality Mason from 105.9 FM were two of the many speakers that cheered on the football teams.

“It kind of felt good that we’re getting recognized and honored for something that we are actually good at, something that we actually love, something that we put our hopes in, and for us to be division champs, two times, back-to-back, it just felt nice,” said senior Latrell Landers.

The community knows that when King and Cass meet each other on the football field it is serious business but On Dec. 5, both schools came together because together both teams made history.