Gay Straight Alliance at EEV supports supports students amid new bathroom law

In September, the Michigan Board of Education voted to allow LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) students to use bathrooms or locker rooms that match their gender identity. These newly adopted laws created a supportive environment for LGBT students. This issue of which bathroom LGBT students should use is very controversial. 

GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) is an extracurricular group opened to East English students, both LGBT students and straight allies. Nicole Conaway, a teacher at East English Village created GSA to create a school environment that is accepting and supportive of all students of the LGBT Community and in doing so will create an environment that is more accepting and supporting of all students. 

Conaway said she believes the LGBT law is “a great victory for equality and a really great way for everyone to feel safe.” 

Schools are responsible for providing a safe learning environment for all students. However, many LGBT students experience bullying and harassment because of their sexual orientation and their gender expression. Even though safety is a major concern with the newly adopted bathroom law, dedicated bathrooms would decrease bullying rates for the LGBT community. On the other hand, a dedicated bathroom could be considered discriminatory and created isolation. 

Ray Adams, a senior at East English Village said: “LGBT’s are humans and should be granted with equal rights equivalent to any other citizen. We want to be equally recognized, appreciated and most importantly, be accepted.”