Phillips hosts Senior Open House

In June, Cass Tech principal Lisa Phillips hosted the first “Bridging the Gap -- Senior Open House” for Graduates Program in the CT Media Center. 

The program was developed after Phillips saw some deserving Technicians in need prior to their matriculation to college. Although the majority of graduating seniors at Cass are awarded scholarships and financial aid; the need for dormitory essentials is rarely addressed.

Phillips reached out to DPS staff members, parents, alumni, community, Ford-UAW City Council and corporate partners, just to name a few. Members of Triumph Church, doctors from the University of Michigan, Detroit families and Cass Alumni teamed up to equip 185 students with bedding sets, microwaves, linen and dorm essentials.

“I have had the opportunity to see so many students do the right thing by enrolling into four-year colleges and universities and they have secured internships and other employment opportunities. But not everyone knows the struggle to move into dorm life is another struggle. I am proud of this initiative and hope to encourage more people to sponsor a deserving senior in the Class of 2017. My target for this year is to deliver care packages to students not just in Cass, but across the district who have been admitted to college and earned grants and scholarships.”

If you would like to make a donation or sponsor a future leader of tomorrow, please contact Cass Tech Office Administrator LuCretia Harris at 313.263.2074 or email Principal Phillips directly at lisa.phillips@detroitk12.org.