History teacher wins $2,000 in school supplies

<p>Social Studies&nbsp;Teacher Cody Lown works with a student at Benjamin Carson High School</p>

Social Studies Teacher Cody Lown works with a student at Benjamin Carson High School

Several weeks ago junior Hafizur Rahman from Benjamin Carson High School wrote an essay about history teacher Cody Lown for a contest from Comerica Bank called the “Tools for Schools Contest.” Rahman won the contest for his 400-word essay about Lown.

The contest asked students to write about how their chosen teacher made an impact on their life and why they think the particular teacher deserved school supplies in their classroom. The grand prize was $2,000 worth of school supplies, which included paper, pencils, binders, a laptop and much more.

“We wanted to support the teachers who have been making a difference and are committed to the students,” said Patricia McCann, Comerica Bank National Employee Volunteer Program Manager.

“There were over 80 entries and we were selecting one from each county. We had a panel of judges and we had interviewed each of the nominations for the particular teacher,” said McCann.

Lown said he appreciated the award.

“We have extension cords and we can use technology around the room and it’s going to make the classroom more effective for learning,” Lown said.

“My advisory teacher told me about the contest,” said Rahman. “Her name is Michelle Schwendemann and she explained that there is an opportunity for teachers to get scholarships and I already knew that I had a teacher in mind that I wanted to do it on.”

In Rahman’s essay he wrote about how Lown sets a good example for his students.

“He has aided me in thriving in academics and acquiring skills and abilities, including being a collaborative member, being responsible for my own actions, networking, proper, communication, and being a leader,” wrote Rahman.

“I felt he deserved it the most,” said Rahman. “Since Mr. Lown's a social studies teacher, he has many different beliefs that I support. And there were times when he shared his opinions with me and I totally agreed with him.”

“Mr. Lown believes strongly about anti-bullying," Rahman said. "He knew someone who went through bullying, that’s why he fought for it a lot. He believes in equal rights with women as well, because he believes women deserve the same rights as men.

“I look up to Mr. Lown because I feel like he's a role model to us students. He shows us how to act, how to be responsible for our actions, and how to take advantage of opportunities that come forward.

“It was a real honor that Hafiz nominated me and wrote a great letter,” Lown said. “It was a great opportunity for me to get stuff for my classroom that I needed for students.

“I'm able to better share with my students the skills and methods and things they're supposed to do. I just feel very proud and honored to know that I made a difference in his life and potentially other students' lives as they are on their quest to be successful.”