Renaissance Cougar Battalion is city champion for 10th straight year

Renaissance High School’s Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program (JROTC) received first three times in a citywide championship for earning the highest combined score across reserve competitions on Oct. 12.

After achieving highest combined scores for formal inspection, unit rapport, and exam averages, Renaissance’s Cougar Battalion outscored other DPSCD battalions in the annual drill competition, rifle matches, and cadet challenges.

“These awards mean that the cadets possess great leadership qualities,” Cadet Kendra Hunt said, referring to October’s wins. “Throughout the battalion, motivation can be found.”

This is 10th consecutive year that Renaissance’s Cougar Battalion earned these honors.

“The awards show the amount of dedication our cadets have, and they reflect the effort they put into it,” said Frank Varner of the recognition.

“The awards don’t just cover one area of the program, but a broad spectrum of what we do in JROTC. It takes more than just one event to achieve these awards.”

Colonel George Pettigrew, Director of Army Instruction for DPSCD’s JROTC awarded the Honor and Excellence Cup plaques to Renaissance’s Senior Army Instructor, Major Walter Moss.

“Ten consecutive years for anything is difficult to accomplish, especially when you’re dealing with several personalities," Moss said.

At the end of each program year, Moss and JROTC’s heads select new staff, which tests cadets’ unit rapport and cohesion. Earning the Citywide Championship plaque for the tenth consecutive year makes JROTC students’ hard work just regular routine.

Cadet Cpt. Scoyauna Fullen said: "With the effort and leadership abilities developed by the cadets, it makes me feel proud that I'm completing my job as a leader and leaving an impact on these cadets."