Midnight Golf program helps seniors

<p>King seniors&nbsp;La’Trell Landers and Erin Martin have been accepted into the Midnight Golf Program.</p>

King seniors La’Trell Landers and Erin Martin have been accepted into the Midnight Golf Program.

The Midnight Golf Program sent out an email notifying seniors La’Trell Landers and Erin Martin that they are accepted into the program.

“I was excited," Landers said. "I had a big grin on my face from ear to ear. I got up and started to dance because out of 400 students I was on the acceptance list.”

The Midnight Golf Program is an organization that focuses on the needs of high school seniors. They assist students with scholarships, mentorships, friendships, dining etiquette, and even golf skills.

There are more than 1,000 students in the MGP and 132 of them are from Detroit. Out of the 132 Detroit students from that list, two of them are Crusaders.

“I was speechless and I was shocked because the people that I thought were going to get in did not,” said Martin.

This is a great opportunity for any senior because it affords him or her other academic, social and financial chances.

“Being in the program is important to me because it will set back some obstacles that I might have to take,” said Landers.

“The program is phenomenal and it gives you an opportunity to have a network of people who are kind of helping our young people of Metro Detroit figure out what they want to do,” said program coordinator Winston Coffee.

To be a volunteer you do not have to have been in the MGP as a student. If someone who was once in the program at any point of time is allowed to be a mentor as long as they have met the requirements.

“I was not in the program as a student, but my younger sister got involved when she was a senior,” said consultant and mentor Clover McFadden. “She applied and got in, and I applied as a mentor and got in back in 2010, now going into my seventh year as a mentor.”