“He was a good man”

DPSCD athletics honors the late Dale Harvel

<p>Last month&nbsp;the Detroit Public Schools Community District's athletics department honored the late Dale Harvel for 33 years of service to students.&nbsp;</p>

Last month the Detroit Public Schools Community District's athletics department honored the late Dale Harvel for 33 years of service to students. 

Last month, Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD) athletics department honored the late Dale Harvel for his 33 years of service to Detroit students. Harvel, King's varsity football coach, died July 22 of a heart attack.

“He helped get so many kids into college and many went on to play professionally,” said Alvin Ward, executive athletic director.

On the day of the ceremony, Ward dedicated a football helmet with the No. 67 on it. This number commemorates Harvel’s time at Indiana State University. Sixty-seven was the number he wore on his varsity jersey.

Present at the ceremony were Harvel’s wife, son, daughters, King’s staff, and many individuals from the community. At the ceremony on King’s football, the Harvel family were presented with the helmet. Bridgett Harvel, Harvel’s wife, became very emotional during the tribute.

“It was unbelievable,” said Harvel. “I felt so honored because he was a good man.”

Thirty of Harvel’s 33 years of coaching were at King, the team he led to an undefeated football season last school year with a Division 2 record of 14-0. To continue King’s legacy, Coach Tyrone Spencer, former defensive coordinator, has taken over as head football coach.

“Everything that I am as a coach is from Coach Harvel,” said Spencer.

Though the football team continues to mourn Harvel, they are adjusting well to their new coach and have continued to play to honor Harvel’s legacy.

“He was a great icon to the whole building and he did great things for the kids around here,” said senior and defensive tackle Damani Green.