It's good to step outside of the box for educational opportunities

<p>CT Visionary’s Mackenzie Galloway attended a Creative Writing Camp at Columbia University in New York during the summer of 2016. Galloway encourages students to step outside of the local box when seeking educational opportunities. </p>

CT Visionary’s Mackenzie Galloway attended a Creative Writing Camp at Columbia University in New York during the summer of 2016. Galloway encourages students to step outside of the local box when seeking educational opportunities.

A handful of Cass Tech juniors were given the opportunity to participate in summer programs at Ivy League schools.

Last winter, juniors were presented with the needed information to apply for the programs from College transition counselor Monica Jones, and the most qualified applicants were admitted into the programs based on their resume and application. 

Once admitted, principal Lisa Phillips allocated the funds that sent students to Columbia in New York and Brown University in Rhode Island. 

In March, I, received word that I would be admitted into the creative writing program at Columbia. Perhaps my years of attendance and living at Cranbrook boarding school taught me to think outside of the box with educational opportunities. I have been the only African American in many programs since childhood, so the summer away from home was like second nature to me.  

I missed my family of course, but I was not homesick nor did I have a culture shock and I quickly acclimated. On move in day, I met people in the elevator, in the dining hall and walking around campus. 

I feel like I gained a piece of knowledge from each person that I met. So many of the students enrolled were from outside of the U.S, and what shocked me the most, is that they travelled alone. Very few students had parents or relatives that traveled to Columbia with them and helped them move in. Many of them we’re in this situation because this was not their first time traveling alone overseas for long periods of time. This was an indication that I would be in the same academic setting as students that were well traveled and most likely, privileged. This experience taught me that international students around the globe are interested in a quality education in the United States and the competition my generation faces for employment will be far more global.

My advice to all high school students, is to step outside of the local box when seeking educational opportunities. There is an entire world out here awaiting our dreams.