Video Games: Waste of Time or Educational Experience?

<p>Teens and adults alike disagree about the value of video games.&nbsp;</p>

Teens and adults alike disagree about the value of video games. 

Some say that video games have taken over the minds of teens, children, and adults. According to the NPD Group, Inc., “91 percent of U.S. children ages 2-17 play video games (64 million).”

Games can make you angry or sad, but they can also give people a feeling of joy with a sense of optimism and enthusiasm to do better and be better. Students and teachers in Detroit Public Schools Community District disagree on whether video games are a good thing.

Some video games are seen as educational, but to some teachers, they aren’t. Kids play games that include violence, which seems inappropriate to teachers. This is one of the probable reasons why DPSCD blocks gaming websites at their schools.

“Games are trying to influence us to do bad things and follow in their lead,” said Jamal Thomas, sophomore at Benjamin Carson High School.

If games are so inappropriate, why do kids find them educational and fun? Here’s why: kids play those violent games that teachers are against because they are actually educational in a different way. They teach strategy. They actually exercise the players’ minds.

“I like video games because they help out a child’s brain and help them learn about the real world” said sophomore Demond Wright.

Sometimes kids play games to get rid of stress that the day may carry over their heads. “It makes me feel better,” said Montae Bass, a junior at Benjamin Carson. "It gives me something like relaxation on a chill day."

When you play games, it helps you calm down from a long day at school or work. Many kids today play games as their way of life. They can make money and even play in tournaments for their skill level.