Exploring Erie

Benjamin Carson High School’s ninth grade students attended the Great Lakes Education Project on Sept. 22.

<p>During the trip students learned that pollution makes the water harder to drink for animals which kills off everything on the food chain because if the insects die then it kills off the whole food chain.</p>

During the trip students learned that pollution makes the water harder to drink for animals which kills off everything on the food chain because if the insects die then it kills off the whole food chain.

Benjamin Carson High School’s ninth grade students had the opportunity to attend the Great Lakes Education Project (GLEP) on a boat on Sept. 22. They studied science in nature at the Lake Erie Metro Park and performed experiments. The GLEP is an organization that teaches Michigan students.

“It was tiring, but it was fun when we were on the boat. We went to different stations and learned about ships, seagulls, and how to tell if the water was pure or not,” said Brittany Williams, 14.

“Lake Erie is the most unique park because it's one of the only inland freshwater marshes.” said Biology teacher Kwesi Mathews, who thought it was a great idea for students. "They have brought back so many endangered species such as the eastern fox snake, bald eagle and hawks."

“We learned about climate change, weather, and how pollution affects the great lakes and their lives,” said Matthews.

During the trip students learned that pollution makes the water harder to drink for animals which kills off everything on the food chain because if the insects die then it kills off the whole food chain. It’s a cycle.

“Something I didn’t know was we own the Great Lakes,” said Ty’juan Brown, 14. “It’s kind of cool, how they use the cattail to clean the water.”

“We really enjoyed ourselves,” said Gabby Johnson, 14. “It was an awesome trip and I hope we go back next year. Now I know all about pollution, all thanks to GLEP!”