Varsity chorus tours HBCUs

<p>After the final stop on their college tour enjoyed some time in Virginia Beach.</p>

After the final stop on their college tour enjoyed some time in Virginia Beach.

After 13 hours and a long bus ride, members from the Renaissance Varsity Chorus arrived at Morgan State University for the first stop of their annual college tour.

“This is the first year in four years that we were able to go on tour and I’m really excited by the way it turned out,” said choral music instructor, Patrice DeBose. “It was the perfect group to tour with.”

Renaissance Varsity Chorus, or RVC, went on their annual historic black college tour from April 25-28. During the tour, members are able to audition for the different universities in hope of receiving vocal music scholarships to further their education.

“At first I was so nervous to audition, especially in front of a real college professor,” said junior baritone Anthony King. “But if I want to make a career out of music, when it’s time to shine, I gotta shine.”

The first stop on the tour was Morgan State in Baltimore. Following auditions, members were able to ask questions and tour the campus.

The next and final stop on the tour was Norfolk State University in Norfolk, Vir. Junior Atiya Whitehead auditioned for a vocal music scholarship here.

“I love to sing,” said Whitehead, a soprano. “Singing is my passion and I plan to use it to go far in life. I really like Norfolk State and I can see myself continuing my education there.”

After the final stop on tour, RVC members had some time off. They walked the strip of Virginia Beach where they played in the ocean, went to an amusement park and ate traditional southern cuisine.

“I’m so glad I decided to go on this tour,” King continued. “I have made so many connections and my relationship with my choir brothers is the best it’s ever been. We have gotten so much closer.”