St. John Providence guides students in STI preventions

<p>King’s Health Center welcomes all students, and they are ready to listen to whatever medical or social issue students face.</p>

King’s Health Center welcomes all students, and they are ready to listen to whatever medical or social issue students face.

This year St. John Providence Health Center at King held its Annual STI Screening Event to keep teens informed about the negative possibilities involved in sexual contact.

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are caused by bacteria, viruses or parasites through some physical contact.

“The purpose is to help not only our students but staff recognize the need for screening, prevention, and health promotion,” said Mia Love, pediatric nurse practitioner at the St. John King Health Center. “We focus on two of the main STIs that are common for the adolescent population,” she said. “Those are chlamydia and gonorrhea.”

With 653 students tested, only 36 students came back positive. Positive students were immediately treated and counseled.

“We treat our positives kids with medication on site and our negative kids we call down to give counseling,” said Love. “The kids who are positive get counseling as well but their counseling is a little bit different.”

Positive students were not happy to receive their results but relieved to know and get treatment.

“I was devastated to find out that I had gonorrhea but I received excellent help and nobody had to know,” said an anonymous student.

There are many students who did not get tested because they made the decision to not indulge in this type of behavior.

“Soon I will be 18 and I still haven’t had sex,” said an anonymous senior. “I just feel like I haven’t come across someone that I would be willing to give my innocence to.”

The medical staff reminds students that the best thing to do to avoid contracting a STI is to not have sex.

“The No. 1 prevention would have to be abstinence,” said Love.

King’s Health Center welcomes all students, and they are ready to listen to whatever medical or social issue students face. Simply set up an appointment, and they will call you down to the clinic. If you just need someone to talk to, these are the people you can go to.

St. John Providence Health Center at King has its own outside entrance. For medical or social assistance, call (313) 567-0534.