Griffith is the Ville’s rising track star

Isaiah Griffith, an East English Village Preparatory Academy track star, has many accomplishments. Griffith won two national records in long jump and triple jump, as well as three state records in long jump and triple jump.

Griffith is a dedicated track and field runner. He is also a 15-time national medalist for his Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) Junior Olympics Team, S’tr8 Smoking Track Club and a six-time national champion.

On Feb. 26, he won triple jump and broke the state record for the third time in the same season. Griffith holds the top six triple jumps in Michigan high school history.

Growing up Griffith would watch Justin Gatlin, an American sprinter and an Olympic gold medalist in the 100-meter dash. His 100-meter personal best is 9.74 seconds. Gatlin is a world indoor champion in the 60-meter dash and also the man responsible for influencing Isaiah to begin running track.

Griffith starting running track when he was 8 years old, and in his first year competing, he won nationals.

Griffith was born with athletic abilities. His mom ran track in middle school and held the sixth grade record for Detroit Public Schools for 20 years in 100-meter dash. But Griffith lost his mom at the age of 14 to multiple heart problems.

“She would be very proud of me because of how the journey started,” he said.

Griffith is undecided for college, but he is looking for a college with a good track and field program. He is also focused on the 2020 Olympics.

“It’s my first ultimate goal in life,” he said. “Performing well at it is a part of the goal also not just getting there.”