Speed Demons: Douglass track team has recording-breaking season

<p>From left to right: Christian Jones, Phillip Wade, Evan Rogers and Branden Davis practice the blind exchange at track practice.</p>

From left to right: Christian Jones, Phillip Wade, Evan Rogers and Branden Davis practice the blind exchange at track practice.

All records are meant to be broken as the saying goes. Some records tend to seem unbreakable because of how far they seem to be.

Through the excellent coaching of Frederick Douglass English teacher Nathan Tedford and dean of students Saleem Shaheed, the school has broken its own records in over five different categories.

Douglass senior Evan Rogers broke the school 100-meter dash record with an impressive time of 11.78 seconds.

“It makes me want to work harder to break my own record one day,” Rogers said. “Coach Tedford always makes sure I’m at practice to work on my technique and fast feet he is the reason I have the record now.”

Another senior Joshua Johnson easily broke the 1600-meter for Douglass with a time of 5:32.00.

Sophomore Doriawn Rogers broke the long jump with a jump of 17 feet. Christian Jones now holds the record for 300 meter intermediate hurdles with 49.70 seconds. Junior Owen Wallace broke the 400-meter record with a time of 44 seconds.

The team of Phillip Wade, Kamar Graves, Branden Davis and Marqueze Williams hold the school record of 4x100 relay.

“It feels spectacular to be a part of a team that now holds a school record,” Wade said. “Coach Tedford stresses that running is going to hurt at practice so when were at the meet it will become easy. I am only one member of the team it took all of us to break the record and all of us to break it again.”