In pursuit of ancient knowledge, students are awarded for Latin chops

<p>Students said they want to try to make the language “cool” again because they believe that ancient Rome and Greece were such an interesting time.</p>

Students said they want to try to make the language “cool” again because they believe that ancient Rome and Greece were such an interesting time.

Dressed in white togas and laurel crowns, students in Detroit Cristo Rey’s Latin III class performed a Kardashian-mocking skit called “Keeping up with Julian's” that won them second place at the University of Michigan’s second annual Copley Latin Day.

But, the trip wasn’t just about who could release their inner Meryl Streep or Johnny Depp the best, the primary purpose of Latin Day is to get students from the Ann Arbor and Detroit areas involved in Latin and Roman civilization.

Students “get to experience the language in a different way,” said Nick Bolig, a Detroit Cristo Rey Latin teacher.

And that they did, the students did everything from speak with various professors to participate in a scavenger hunt on campus. It was a great experience for the students to, “get together as a society” Bolig said. Many of the students, like Cristo Rey junior Ruben Lugo, a Latin I student, said, “hands down, the skit was my favorite part.”

Many others, like junior Carina Garza, a Latin III student, said she enjoyed being able to express her love for Latin and expand her knowledge on the language.

Although Latin is perceived by some as a dead language, it has a strong presence at Detroit Cristo Rey. Latin is the only language offered at Detroit Cristo Rey, and with teachers like James Dwyer and Nick Bolig students couldn’t be more enthused to learn it.

“Mr. Dwyer has helped me to understand a piece of the culture aspect which I fell in love with,” said Garza

The language itself has several benefits: vocabulary, critical thinking and public speaking.

Latin “is a timeless source of information that opens up walls of opportunities,” said Bolig. The goal of learning Latin is for the students become better lawyers, doctors, historians, orators and more. The language has allowed the students to understand the ancient world and how it has molded today’s society.

Dwyer has been teaching Latin for five years. He said that studying classic cultures helps students “see where our political system comes from and why our world is the way it is today.”

Latin is “pretty cool, so as Latin students we need to make it stay cool,” Lugo said. Even though the language is compelling on its own, the students say the teachers are the real motivators in keeping them engaged.

They use real life situations, scenarios, and people to explain the ancient world.

“A teacher is a student's role model, and my teacher, Mr. Bolig, has made me appreciate the Roman culture and Latin language by making the experience fun,” said Brianna Sloan, a junior.

Not only did their Latin chops win them second place, but students say Latin class has helped them become well-rounded students who understand the value of ancient culture and its lasting impact on today’s society.