Benjamin Carson senior spotlight: Samantha Turner

Unstoppable and extraordinary are a couple of words that can be used to describe Samantha Turner.

From being Treasurer of the National Honors Society to being accepted into the Michigan State University Osteopathic Medicine Scholars Program, Turner would definitely qualify as an extraordinary person. Turner has spent her high school years at Benjamin Carson High School, and believes that BCHS puts students on the path toward a successful career in the medical field.

Turner demonstrates her unstoppable character through her ambition to ensure that she accomplishes everything possible in high school. Turner has been accepted into every college that she applied to, has served as an Ambassador to the Clinic for Success for all four years, founded the BCHS Drama Club, and also received a full tuition scholarship to attend MSU.

While at MSU, she will be a part of the Osteopathic Medicine Scholars Program. With this program, not only will she be on the perfect path for her career choice, but she will not have to take the MCAT and she will also receive first preference into Michigan State University College of Human Medicine. Her passion for always wanting to help others has pushed her to pursue a career as a pediatrician, and Turner is very grateful for the years spent at BCHS.

“Ben Carson is a great school,” she said. “It gave me hands-on experience, placed me on the right track for medicine, and offered more opportunities for me due to its small size.”

The total number of students at BCHS is comparable to the number of students in just one grade level at another school, which is a positive benefit for the students as the school can focus more on each student’s individual needs.

BCHS offers internships at hospitals, a Certified Nursing Assistant program, and a pharmacy program. In fact, Turner has chosen to be a part of the CNA program, so when she graduates from high school she will have her CNA certification.