​What makes a comeback, a comeback?

Detroit seems to be saying, “Out with the old and in with the new.” Many citizens are left uncertain when asked the question, “Is Detroit really the comeback city?” With all the contrast of good and bad coming from the city, it takes much effort to take a deeper look into the question.

Over the past couple of years, the Motor City has changed for the better: tearing down old houses and buildings, building new infrastructure and parks, and even renewing the well-known Belle Isle and the Riverwalk. Many have also tried to make Detroit a greener and healthier city by adding things like the Dequindre Cut, urban farms and new restaurants.

“Detroit is becoming more of a ‘city;’ I’m excited because it’s kind of a blank canvas,” said Samantha Turner, a Benjamin Carson High School senior.

However, even with all of the new things in Detroit, one might be surprised that there is a migration of people away from the city. Many feel that Detroit was a depleted resource for jobs, opportunities and progress in safety.

Former Clintondale High School student Vayshawn Smith has lived in Detroit throughout his life.

“I want to move out of here because there is nothing here for me. Detroit doesn’t have anything for me to build off of,” said Smith. “I don’t think Detroit is the comeback city yet. We have nothing and the people here aren’t fighting for things the right way.”

The violence in Detroit is so prevalent that it kind of dims the light on the good things happening in the city. Some organizations and groups are trying to take a stand on the violence and push for a safe environment, such as New Era Detroit and Project Green Light, though much more still needs to be done.

The city’s opportunities are growing slowly but surely. Many feel, too, that the kids of Detroit are the future of the city. However, if is true, that means the future of the city lies in the education and betterment of its people. This leaves people with the question, “what’s still holding the city back from totally jumping forward?”

Detroit Public Schools are being pushed into the spotlight. With the city trying to come up, some might say the students are left behind. A portion of students have even held rallies and staged protests in order to make their voices heard. The drama reached the front of the classroom in recent weeks with fears of depleted finances for teacher salaries over the summer and the discussion of legislation that will shape the district for the future.

“Detroit can be the comeback city if it’s allowed,” said BCHS Health Sciences teacher Curtis Valasek. Some people of the city feel like everyone is left to fend for themselves, but some would argue otherwise.

“The movement starts with the organization of the people. There are different age groups who can and should join together and have the most power,” said Valasek.

As a city, Detroit needs to show the world that they care about what is happening and will not be set on the back burner. Getting involved and organized could be the next step in the city’s progression and could allow the city to put change in the hands of the people.