​Renaissance responds to the crisis in DPS

<p>Renaissance students stood in agreement with their teachers on Jan. 25 as they skipped school to protest outside the school for two hours.</p>

Renaissance students stood in agreement with their teachers on Jan. 25 as they skipped school to protest outside the school for two hours.

Renaissance students stood in agreement with their teachers on Jan. 25 as they protested the poor quality materials, learning environment conditions and lack of funding in Detroit Public Schools.

DPS teachers have held protests throughout the school year demanding that they receive better working conditions, as well as better pay and health care benefits. Instructors have been holding “sick-outs” – when a school is forced to close due to a high volume of teachers calling in “sick.”

However, on Jan. 25 it was the students’ turn. More than 200 students were “sick” and skipped school that day. And at noon, they protested outside the school for two hours.

“We are protesting to make a change and impact our school district,” said senior Melaney Sloan. “We are paving the way for upcoming generations so that they may have a better school environment.”

This event brought together the entire community, including a parent of two Renaissance alumni.

Yolanda Houston, a parent of both a 2009 and a 2010 graduate joined in for the protests. She has a big heart for the students of DPS.

“I’m out here because Detroit led the way in the revolution and that spirit is alive in all Detroiters,” she said. “Public education is very important in this country. You cannot have a democracy without educated people.”