Lady Phoenix head to PSL Finals

The Lady Phoenix beat the Mustangs of Mumford, 81-57, on Feb. 8, giving them a chance to face the King Crusaders in the PSL finals.

The Phoenix have not been to the PSL city finals in more than four years. 

They took on defending champs King on Feb. 19. The last time the Phoenix met with the Crusaders, the Phoenix secured a win by 3 points. Many feel that if they play like they did against Mumford, the Phoenix can do it again against King. And the finals game was close, but this time King won, 68-66.

“The girls are really hard workers. I know they can be great. They can win the championship. But win or lose, they are champions in my eyes,” said sophomore Mariah Taler.

Senior Siyeh Frazier led the Phoenix scoring 19 points, Nina Reynolds added 17 points, and the Phoenix’s new transfer from Pershing High School Brittany Hill had 16 points.

“Being one of the new transfers on the team is very hard because I have to adjust to new settings, new rules, and a whole new school,” Hill said. “Being a part of a team that has the same mindset as I do, is the best thing about it. We plan on winning the city championship, and that’s starts by playing together, and playing as one unit.”

The Phoenix also have another transfer from Fitzgerald, Talia Gray, who many feel is an excellent defensive player, and who is a big part to the team’s victories.

“The addition of Brittany and Talia really improved our defense,” Phoenix head Coach Kiwan Ward told David Goricki of The Detroit News. “At the beginning of the season we were a little slim on bodies, but as you could see we have a little more depth now so we’re able to rotate kids in and out to give us fresh legs.”