Social work services available to students

Social workers are provided at high schools to guide students to a successful life. Terri Colbert is one of the social workers at Martin Luther King Jr. Senior High School who helps students to become victorious.

Colbert has been a social worker for more than 20 years, driven by a desire to aid individuals in and out of school. While she can assist students academically, her main skill set is to support behaviorally and emotionally. To guide in the right direction, she has to know what is going on internally with that student.

“The big question is, ‘What emotionally or behaviorally is preventing you from being successful,’” said Colbert.

Colbert wants to help every student that comes into her office because the whole child should be developed.

“She’s a good social worker because she cares,” said freshman Kiara Peete. “She tries hard to help me.”

Being so accommodating with the students here at King motivates others to follow in her footsteps and uplift students. Tiana Byrd, a Wayne State University School of Social Work intern, has an opportunity to work under Colbert. Byrd has been through a lot in her life, with being adopted when she was younger and growing up in a low-income household. Her previous conditions motivated her to become a social worker.

“She’s kind of like a mentor because she helps me interact professionally with staff, students, and parents,” said Byrd. “She assists me with anything.”

Having a social worker on site at King is very necessary because of the issues that students are confronted with.

“Helping out the students now affects them in the long run,” said Colbert. “I’m still in contact with previous students thanking me for telling them to get out of the hallways.”

For social work services at King High, please call Colbert at (313) 262-9120.