King senior athletes say farewell

<p>Senior athletes are honored for their dedication to King.</p>

Senior athletes are honored for their dedication to King.

Senior Night is a big deal because it’s the last home game of the season. Seniors are congratulated for their years of dedication and given roses to present to their parents. This evening is not only about the members of the class of 2016 but also about the support given to these seniors by their parents.

“That’s the culminating event where we want to recognize our seniors who dedicated four years of service to the athletic department,” said assistant principal and athletic director Barry Cannon. “That’s the way to pay tribute to them and their parents.”

For some of the players, it was a great last home game because the Crusaders defeated the Cass Tech Technicians. These two teams have a history of being athletic competitors.

“It was better competition-wise because we are team rivals,” said senior Jasmine Flowers. “We put up points, they put up points. We had a great battle field between both of the teams and we came out with the win.”

Basketball doesn’t necessarily end with graduation. These senior athletes are leaving high school and starting a new chapter in their academic careers.

“I will attend DePaul University which is in downtown Chicago,” said senior Micaela Kelly. “My major will be kinesiology because I want to play basketball.”

This event caused some players and cheerleaders to recall their athletic career here at King.

“It made me start reminiscing about my first time joining the cheer team,” said senior and cheerleader Khaylah Mcculler. “It was somewhat emotional, but at the same time I know I’m going on to do bigger and better things.”