March for MLK

'My Like Matters' event centered on the life of those who lived and died to make a difference

The seventh annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Legacy March Celebration, held under the theme “My Life Matters,” honored his life and legacy. This event centered on the life of those who lived and died to make a difference.

Some of the individuals memorialized that day were Medgar Evers, Cesar Chavez, Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Trayvon Martin, Zaevion Dobson, Sandra Bland, and the four girls who lost their life in the 16th Baptist Church bombing in Birmingham, Ala.

There were displays, reenactments, skits, a dance, awards, and the annual parade that involved students, staff, and the community. This event was not about one race of people but all individuals.

“Here at King High School we wanted to focus on all life,” said Assistant Principal Lawrence Fitz. “That’s where the theme ‘My Life Matters’ came from, because Dr. Martin Luther King had a dream for all life.”

For the younger audience, the Crusaders showed off their skills that day with rapping.

“My rap was inspired from a lot of people going through the same things I go through in our community, like being judged and put into a certain box and people not giving us a chance to show greatness or talents,” said senior Emmanuel Clark, one of the day’s rappers.

Other honorees of the day were Gerald Banton for his fight for justice, Aretha Franklin for the help she has given families, Bruce Millan for his work with the Detroit Repertory Theater, Marilyn Mullane for her work with the Michigan Legal Services, Ted Phillip for his work with the United Community Housing Coalition, and the late Ron Scott for his fight for justice. Speakers included Congressman John Conyers, Wayne County Executive Warren Evans, and King High’s own Principal Dr. Deborah Jenkins.

One particular exhibit focused on a time during the civil rights movement in 1963 when a white supremacist bombed the 16th Street Baptist Church and killed four little black girls: Addie Mae Collins (14), Denise McNair (11), Carole Robinson (14), and Cynthia Wesley (14). Junior Kamari McHenry portrayed Dr. King, and teacher and soloist Norina David’s music memorialized the girls’ horrific death.

“It felt good to educate the students and people in our community on such a terrible day. I was more than happy to sing ‘Four Little Girls’,” said David.

In addition to MLK High’s amazing turnout, the event brought the community out, in part due to support from many organizations. Many people were very impressed by how real the exhibits looked.

“I was so in tune with the whole program and I learned so much,” senior Tarina Mobley said.