Halting a losing streak

Crusaders top Technicians

<p>The King girls basketball team beat Cass, 73-6, during the regular season. King went on to win the PSL title.</p>

The King girls basketball team beat Cass, 73-6, during the regular season. King went on to win the PSL title.

After six years of losses, King’s boys’ basketball team broke the streak with a win against Cass Tech. Also, the girls’ basketball team defeated Cass. The victories took place in both the regular season and playoffs.

“We were very excited because King has not beaten Cass since 2010, so this meant a lot to me and the players,” said center and junior Treveon Orr.

In the regular season, King’s boys’ basketball team ended their game with a score of 50-43 and the girls’ basketball team, 73-6. The playoffs mirrored the regular season with scores of 62-55 (boys) and 59-14 (girls), with King victorious each time.

Several students, parents, and alumni came out to support their home team and cheer them on throughout the game.

“I have never been to a King versus Cass basketball game,” said senior Kerontae Johnson. “It was amazing.”

The Crusaders started their regular season game with one big group hug, and held onto their confidence throughout the game. They walked into the game ready and determined.

“I felt confident before and after the game, but since it was my last game I felt sad,” said shooting guard and senior Makayla Kelley.

The game against Cass was a tough one for the boys’ basketball team and the whole student body because the male Crusaders hadn’t won against the Technicians in six years.

“You come in the game calm and ready to win,” said boys’ head coach George Ward.

The girls’ and boys’ basketball coaches pushed their team to strive for the best and win. The King Crusaders practice very hard on the court every day trying to perfect their skills.

“I’m proud of my girls,” said girls’ head coach William Winfield.

For a short time, the Cass team had a lead during the boys’ game, but it didn’t last long. The Crusaders pulled off the win.

“It’s been a long time since King beat Cass in basketball and that’s our rival school,” said point guard and junior Jesse Scarber III.