EEVPA Students travel to Harris-Stowe State University

<p>Detroit Finney graduate Dr. Dwaun Warmack is the president of Harris-Stowe State University. He provides powerful insight on the importance of education to EEVPA students.</p>

Detroit Finney graduate Dr. Dwaun Warmack is the president of Harris-Stowe State University. He provides powerful insight on the importance of education to EEVPA students.

In November, about 12 students and teachers from East English Village Preparatory Academy visited Harris-Stowe State University, a historically black college located in St. Louis. It. It took approximately eight hours to get there from Detroit.

Students and administrators stayed in the athletic and upperclassmen dormitories. They were given a tour of the campus and were invited to watch a home basketball game, where Harris-Stowe was victorious.

Harris-Stowe’s president, Dr. Dwaun J. Warmack, is a proud graduate of Finney High School and grew up in Detroit. At the age 37, Warmack is one of the youngest presidents of a four-year higher education institution in the nation.

Warmack is committed to the development of programs that promote diversity and pluralism. Throughout his vast career as both an educator and administrator, he has championed academic excellence and retention of underrepresented students.

Harris-Stowe State University was founded in 1857 as Harris Teacher College but eventually changed its name in 2005. Depending on if you’re an in-state or out-of-state resident and the number of credit hours you are enrolled, the amount of tuition for classes would range from $5,220 to $9,853.

While in Missouri, students visited the Gateway Arch, a famous St. Louis landmark to take pictures. Students attended the field trip to get a real-life experience of college life.

“Harris-Stowe has a lot of majors,” stated EEVPA sophomore Malik Hakeem. “Also, this college doesn’t cost much for tuition.”

Hakeem said he enjoyed his visit to Harris-Stowe and plans to attend when he graduates from high school.

“It was a fun learning experience, that taught me about social and educational experiences in college,” Hakeem said.

Michelle Broughton, EEVPA information technology technician and teacher and one of the chaperones on the trip, highly recommended this college to students because of its academic stature and affordability.

“It is a great HBCU with good opportunities,” Broughton said.