After four years, ‘I will miss the people here who have helped me’

<p>Iris Gray</p>

Iris Gray

In September 2012, East English Village Preparatory Academy opened its doors to new students. I just happened to be one of the first freshmen to enter into this new academy in Detroit. My first week was hard because I didn’t know how to communicate with people, thus I didn’t have any friends. I wouldn’t even talk to teachers. However, before the month was even over, I had accumulated a small circle of friends. Slowly, I realized that I couldn’t go through life being afraid of speaking to people. So I bonded with teachers, staff and students.

A lot of our teachers, counselors, coaches and staff treat us with utmost respect, almost as if we were their own children. We spend most of our time in school with them. They’ve seen us grow up throughout the years, and they help us with difficult problems in our life. Even though our original principal is gone, she is still part of my Bulldog family.

When people see or hear bad things about my school, they automatically associate that bad reputation with every student. It ruins our reputation. Behind all of the bad kids that lurk our halls are the good kids who do their work, fill out college applications and study together. I know this because I have classes with these students.

We joke and have fun like other teenagers, but education is what is most important to us. We want the best that life has to offer. I can honestly say that when I graduate, I will miss the people here who have helped me mature into an adult.