Officer Richards returns to patrol

<p>Douglass security guard James Richards was recently hospitalized with pneumonia and missed almost two months of work. He returned to the halls of Douglass on Jan. 12.</p>

Douglass security guard James Richards was recently hospitalized with pneumonia and missed almost two months of work. He returned to the halls of Douglass on Jan. 12.

Douglass security guard James Richards was recently hospitalized with pneumonia.

Richards first experienced shortness of breath so he went to the doctor and got sent to the hospital when they found out that his oxygen level was 81, which is lower than what it was suppose to be. The standard oxygen level is supposed to be between 92 and 100.

“The hospital ran test and told me I had pneumonia in the bottom part of both lungs,” said Richards.

Richards was out of school since Nov. 19, 2015 and didn't return until Jan. 12, 2016. Pneumonia took it toll on Richards by making him lose a lot of weight.

“Yeah, I lost a lot of weight,” said Richards. “Went from 204 pounds to 170 pounds.”

Richards is still recovering from pneumonia slowly and getting a little better everyday.

“Still on medication and oxygen,” said Richards. “I only use the oxygen when I feel like I’m having breathing problems.”

Richards is back in school making sure the hallways of Douglass are safe and sound.

“He’s a nice dude,” said Douglass Junior Justin Amerson. “He keeps students out of the hallways.”

“I feel more safe because of his military background,” said Douglass Senior and Varsity player Branden Davis.